lina posting in recipebox
This is a rehash of a recipe I posted on WikiCookbooks a while back. It's good as a side dish, served over rice, or as a base for gumbo. We usually make this in large batches and freeze most of it into 2-4 qt portions, which can be used as a base for one's next gumbo (seafood or greens).
- 1 Lb okra, washed and sliced into 1/4 - 1/2 inch wide pieces
- 4-5 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 medium-large yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 stalks celery, sliced or diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, sliced or diced
- butter (1 stick/113 g)
- Salt, pepper, etc. to taste
- Saute onion, celery, and bell pepper in butter until soft over medium heat, adding garlic to saute shortly before the onion is soft.
- Add okra and tomatoes. Stir a few times to incorporate. If the mixture seems a bit dry, add a small amount of water.
- Simmer over medium heat until the okra is no longer sticky and stringy. (The okra will change to a darker green color.)
- Serve over rice or use in your next gumbo.